Sunday, May 3, 2015

Decovil and Terial Magic

I have had a couple of new products arrive in store that I need to let you  know about.
Decovil - this is a stabiliser that has a fusible side and a leather like appearance which is ideal for hats, bags, wallets, vases etc. It resists tears and creases, doesn't fray and is suitable to use with all fabrics.
I made a vase with it to test out the stability - it is great, no problem
Kim Thittichai has a video about it where she paints a light wash of colour over the fusible side and then fuses torn strips of newspaper or magazine pages, then stamps and makes a book cover with it. I saw several bags made with it when I googled Decovil. Why not give it a try.
The other fun item I have been playing with is Terial Magic. This stuff is wonderful. It is like a starch but has no food additives which would attract beetles etc. You spray the fabric, hang it to dry for 10-15 minutes and then iron it and it becomes much firmer. Ideal for putting fabrics through and electronic cutter (like the Brother Scan N Cut, which I have tried) and excellent for using with machine embroideries. My friend Judy brought her embroidery machine into the shop and tried it. After spraying, hanging and ironing she hooped up the fabric and set her embroidery to work,. Was fabulous, no more picking out stabiliser for her any more. This washes out when you place it in a bowl of warm water for 10 minutes. Also ideal if you want to embroider on knit materials - stops the stretching and ideal for tee shirt quilts - then the squares stay where they are supposed to be, no stretch. It was developed to make fabric firm so you can make fabric flowers with it - check out www.terialarts.com to see what Terri has made with this product she developed. The petals/leaves are cut out and hot glued together,they don't fray and stay in shape. Do come in and see my samples and why not try some for your next project.
I will have some of these products with me at Tote & Gloat (Saturday 9th May) and then following week (16/17 May) at Kapiti Coast Quilters Exhibition at Southwards Car Museum in Paraparaumu where I am a merchant also.
Dianne

No comments:

Post a Comment